Your speeds explained
- Your estimated download and upload speeds - The speeds we estimate your line will be capable of achieving to your Hub. These can be slower at peak times (typically 8pm to 10pm) when more people tend to be online and using the network at the same time
- Your maximum download and upload speeds - The speeds we estimate your line will be capable of achieving to your Hub at quieter times on the network (outside of peak times) when fewer people are online and using the network at the same time
- Your Stay Fast Guarantee - The minimum download speed you should expect to receive to your Hub at peak times. If you're not getting at least this, please contact us and we'll do our best to fix it. If we can't improve it within 30 days, you'll be able to leave your contract without penalty and claim a £20 pre-paid card
- Your minimum upload speed - The minimum upload speed you should expect to receive to your Hub at peak times
- Average speed - The average speeds you'll see in our advertising and your order confirmation details are the speeds that 50% of our customers on the same package as you can get at peak times
What other factors can affect my speed?
The actual speeds you receive on your device may be affected by a wide range of factors. These include, but are not limited to, things like the number of devices connected to your Hub at the same time and whether you’re using wi-fi or a wired connection.
You can find out more about broadband speeds at Broadband speed: What is it and how does it work? >
How do I test my speed?
You can test your BT Broadband speed using the My BT app or our broadband troubleshooter.
This reliably tests the speed you're getting to your BT Hub.
How do I improve my speed?
For the first ten days or so after we connect your broadband, your speed may go up and down while we try to find the best speed for your line. You can help by leaving your Hub on all the time.
You can improve your broadband speed with some simple changes. Take a look at Five steps to improve slow BT Broadband speeds >
I’m not getting the Stay Fast Guarantee
If you're not getting at least your Stay Fast Guarantee, please contact us and we’ll do our best to fix it. If we can’t improve it within 30 days, you’ll be able to leave your contract without penalty and claim a £20 pre-paid card. This is because we've signed up to Ofcom’s Voluntary Code of Practice on Broadband Speeds >
For more information, see I'm not getting the expected Stay Fast Guarantee or minimum broadband speed >