Stay protected: What to do next
If the caller gained access to your computer, you should:
- Switch your router off and back on. This will reset your IP address.
- Change your My BT password and any others that may be stored on your computer.
- Run a virus scan on your computer, and make sure your security software is up to date.
- Log in to My BT to view the online security features.
If the caller gained access to your online banking, you should:
- Inform your bank and credit card provider immediately
- Consider taking your computer to a certified professional to examine
- Think about signing up to Cifas - a protective registration service against identity fraud
Thanks for your help
We take the security of our customers extremely seriously, and the information you've given us helps us fight the fraudsters and reduce the number of scam calls.
We recommend that you also report your scam call to Action-Fraud, the national fraud and cyber crime reporting centre, to receive a police crime reference number.