BT Basic is a low-cost telephone service for people on specific means-tested benefits. It gives you peace of mind by helping you to budget.
What does it cost?
The monthly line rental only costs £5.16 (including VAT) a month. As well as getting free weekend calls (up to sixty minutes duration) to 0845 and 0870 numbers, it comes with a call allowance of £1.50 and a £10 monthly price cap.
If you would like to add broadband to a BT Basic line, the total cost of this is £10.07.
With the price cap, it means no matter how many calls you make the most you'll pay each month is £15.16 or £20.07 with broadband, if you keep with the eligible calls included within the price cap. If you make fewer calls it will be less. This applies to UK numbers starting with 01, 02, 03 and 08 as well as UK mobile numbers starting with 07 - so UK mobiles are included too!
You can choose to have either monthly or quarterly bills.
How the call allowance and monthly price cap works
- Monthly price cap - To help you save money on call costs, you have a £10 monthly price cap on UK phone line numbers starting with 01, 02 and 03, UK mobile numbers starting with 07, and 08 numbers.
This doesn't mean we stop you making calls once you've spent £10 or that you have to make £10 worth of calls. You can make as few as you like. But if you do make over £10 of calls (eligible for the price cap), you'll know that you'll only pay a maximum of £10 a month for your calls. We charge this amount after you've used up your £1.50 call allowance
- Call allowance - As well as the price cap you get a call allowance of £1.50 a month. This is to spend on calls to UK phone line and mobile numbers beginning with 01, 02, 03, 07 or 08, and international numbers. So as long as you stay within your £1.50 call limit your phone bill will always be £5.16 per month.
If you go over the call allowance we will charge up to £10 for calls eligible for the monthly price cap (01, 02, 03, 07 and 08 numbers). That's even if you've spent more on these types of calls.
If you go over your allowance with calls that aren't eligible for the price cap you'll pay 11.3p a minute (plus 3.3p for each call) for all normal UK calls. And for all other calls you'll pay our standard BT Basic calling package rates.
For more information go to bt.com/pricing >
Who can get BT Basic?
You must be getting one of the following means-tested benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Pensions Credit (Guaranteed Credit)
- Employment and Support Allowance (Income related)
- Universal Credit (and are on zero earnings)
How to order BT Basic
If you're the named account holder, you can get a BT Basic application form by calling 0800 800 864 (8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday). For more information about how to apply go to www.btcom.ll-digital-sandbx1.bt.com/basic >
Check out these common questions and answers about BT Basic >