Two-step authentication (or 2SA) is a way of logging in where you confirm your identity in two ways. It will help to keep your account and identity more secure as it is safer than just using a password.
We now offer two-step authentication on our website and the My BT app. It's optional.
Log into My BT as normal using your ID and password and follow the below steps. Please note that this cannot be done in the app.
1. On your homepage, click Your Details at the top of the page.
2. On your Profile page, select Set up two-step authentication
3. We’ll then ask whether you want your passcode sent to your email or mobile. You'll need to enter this passcode to confirm your identity so you can complete the set up of two-step authentication.
4. You will then receive a text and an email confirming that two-step authentication has been successfully set up.
We recommend keeping two-step authentication switched on so that your BT Identities are protected, but if you want to switch it off at any time, you can do this from your Profile.
When you opt in to two-step authentication, a passcode will be sent to you via text or email each time you log into your online BT Identity. You need to enter this passcode to verify your identity.
You can however register your device as a Trusted Device which means you won't have to enter the passcode each time when using that device.
To view or remove your Trusted Devices follow the below steps.
1. Go to the Your Details page
2. Select Two-step authentication
3. Select Edit two-step authentication settings
4. Select Your trusted devices
There are a few occasions where, even though you've registered your device as a Trusted Device, you will still be asked to enter a passcode. This could be because:
If you have two-step authentication set up but haven't received the passcode, there are a few things you can check.
If you change your email address and/or mobile number, it is important that you update your two-step authentication information so that you can access the passcode.
You can change where your passcode is sent by following below steps.