Premier League: The 30 craziest statistics from the 2019/20 season
From Alisson matching Sterling’s assists to Origi scoring in the dark, we’ve rounded up some scarcely believable stats from an unprecedented season.
We’ve rounded up some scarcely believable stats from an unprecedented Premier League season
We’ve rounded up some of the most extraordinary statistics from a season unlike any other and some have to be seen to be believed…
2. Carlo Ancelotti finished a league season in the bottom half for the first time in his 25-year managerial career. (Via Squawka)
3. No English players scored for Wolves in the league this season.
4. Roberto Firmino only scored once at home all season in the league and still won the title by 18 points.
5. Alisson recorded same number of assists as Raheem Sterling (1).
6. Man Utd recorded the same number of points as last season (66) and scored fewer goals but finished 3 places higher.
7. Southampton finishing with a goal difference of -9. Southampton getting more points than Leicester since the 9-0 game.
9. Jesse Lingard scored more Premier League goals on the final day of the season than he managed in all of 2019 (0).
10. Jamie Vardy is the oldest player ever to win the Premier League Golden Boot award.
11. Andrew Robertson and Trent Alexander-Arnold provided 25 Premier League assists this season between them, more than David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Teddy Sheringham managed between them in the 1998-99 season (23).
12. Wolves’ 2019/20 season has already lasted over a year. It started on July 25th, 2019 with a 2-0 Europa League win over Crusaders and they are still in this season’s Europa League.
13. Adama Traore set a new Premier League record for most take-ons in a campaign (183) beating Eden Hazard's previous record (180). He beat a man on average once every 14.2 mins. (Via Squawka)
14. Man Utd scored 14 penalties in 2019-20, a record for a team in a single Premier League campaign.
15. Since Bruno Fernandes made his Premier League debut, Man Utd have won more Premier League points (32) than any other team.
16. Bruno Fernandes has directly involved in more goals since the Premier League restarted than any other player (15 total - 8 goals, 7 assists).
17. David Luiz gave away 5 penalties for Arsenal in the league during 2019-20, the most by a single player in a campaign in Premier League history. (Via @Opta)
18. Heung-min Son completed military service and also won the Premier League Goal of the Season in the same campaign.
19. Kevin De Bruyne tied Thierry Henry’s all-time Premier League assist record (20) and also set a new record for most chances created from open play (104) beating Eden Hazard's previous record (98) - (Via @Squawka)
20. For the first time in Premier League history, the top three players in the race for the Golden Boot (Vardy, Ings, Aubameyang) didn't play for any team which finished in the top four - (Via @Squawka)
21. Man City scored 100+ goals in a Premier League season for the third time in seven seasons. This was the first time they didn't win the league while doing so. (Via @Squawka)
22. Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool equalled Pep Guardiola’s Man City Premier League record of most wins in a single top-flight season (32).
23. In January, Leicester were 14 points ahead of Man Utd with a +20 goal difference. By the end of the season Man Utd finished 4 points ahead of them and had scored + 4 goals more.
24. Manchester City scored four or more goals in a single match on 11 different occasions, including an 8-0 victory against Watford in September.
25. Divock Origi’s goal on the Premier League final day vs Newcastle was the first goal he’s scored for Liverpool in all competitions during daylight since the final day in 2017 vs West Ham. His 12 goals in between were all scored when it was dark.
26. Jamie Vardy scored 17 of his 23 Premier League goals in 2019/20 before Christmas.
27. Virgil van Dijk became one of only five players in Premier League history to win the title and play every single minute of the league campaign. Cesar Azpilicueta (16-17), Wes Morgan (15-16), John Terry (14-15), Pallister (92-93) are the others. (Via @Opta)
28. Mason Greenwood became the first English teenager to score 10+ goals in a Premier League campaign since Wayne Rooney in 2004-05.
29. Adama Traore > Raul Jimenez was the most frequent assist > goal scorer combination in the Premier League during 2019-20 with 7 goals. (Via @WhoScored)
30. Only Nicolas Pepe (46) created more chances for Arsenal in the Premier League than Mesut Ozil (39). Ozil last started a game in the league for Arsenal on March 7th, 12 games ago.