Mark Wood sidelined for remainder of the summer
Durham paceman played a key role in England’s World Cup success.
Mark Wood will play no part in this summer’s Ashes after undergoing an operation on a left knee injury sustained in helping England to World Cup glory last month.
The Durham paceman was instrumental as England hoisted aloft their first silverware in a global 50-over tournament last month, taking 18 wickets at an average of 25.72, but his assistance has come at a cost.
Wood is missing from the ongoing first Specsavers Test at Edgbaston, and was set to be absent for the fixtures at Lord’s and Headingley, because of a left side strain he suffered in the World Cup final victory over New Zealand.
England revealed on Friday afternoon he had been struggling with a knee issue during the tournament on the same leg which has been beset by ankle trouble.
An England statement said: “England fast bowler Mark Wood has had left knee surgery to address an injury sustained during the ICC Cricket World Cup.
“The Durham player will continue rehabilitation for this and the left side strain that he sustained in the World Cup final.
“As a result of these injuries, he will be unavailable for any cricket for the remainder of the season.”
Wood’s last Test outing saw him bowl with pace and hostility as he ushered England to a consolation victory over the West Indies earlier this year, a breakthrough performance from the 29-year-old.
There was a further fitness setback for one of England’s World Cup winning squad, with Adil Rashid reporting a worsening of his ongoing right shoulder injury.
The leg-spinner trained at Headingley on Thursday but told the club he was experiencing more discomfort than at any other stage this summer.
He has been referred back to the national team’s medical department for assessment.