House of the Dragon: If you like the HBO fantasy drama, you’ll love these showsOct 6 | 4 min read
Avengers: Endgame is an emotional must-watch for all Marvel fans - top 3 reasons to watch the movie now
The biggest movie of all time is the perfect conclusion to an epic 22-film saga.
Avengers: Endgame is officially the biggest movie of all time, and a must-watch for Marvel film fans.
The perfect conclusion to an epic 22-film saga, Endgame kicks off after the 'snap' at the end of Avengers: Infinity War, with the remaining Avengers taking one final stand against Thanos.
Directed by the Russo brothers and featuring an all-star cast of Marvel acting royalty, it’s a three-hour emotional saga for fans who’ve watched the characters' adventures unfold over the last 10 years.
Here, we reveal the best bits about the movie, fascinating facts you didn’t know and Easter eggs you didn’t spot, who plays the characters, and more, as Avengers: Endgame is released in the BT TV Film Store.
Plus, when you buy Avengers: Endgame [Bonus Edition] on BT Store, you’ll get almost an hour of additional content including deleted scenes - plus director’s commentary.
Who’s in the Avengers: Endgame cast?
vengers: Endgame features an all-star cast of actors who’ve appeared in the Marvel films since the very beginning of the Phase One films.
Robert Downey Jr., above, returns as Tony Stark / Iron Man, alongside Chris Evans as Steve Rogers / Captain America. Mark Ruffalo is back as Bruce Banner / Hulk, as is Chris Hemsworth as Thor.
Scarlett Johansson continues to play Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow, as does Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton / Hawkeye. Don Cheadle returns as James Rhodes / War Machine, with Chadwick Boseman back as T'Challa / Black Panther.
Benedict Cumberbatch, Brie Larson and Tom Holland reprise their roles as Doctor Strange, Carol Danvers / Captain Marvel and Peter Parker / Spider-Man, respectively.
From the Ant-Man films, Paul Rudd is back as Scott Lang / Ant-Man, with Evangeline Lilly returning as Hope Van Dyne / Wasp. From the Guardians of the Galaxy, Chris Pratt returns as Peter Quill / Star-Lord, alongside Karen Gillan as Nebula and Zoe Saldana as Gamora.
Tessa Thompson, Elizabeth Olsen, Anthony Mackie, Sebastian Stan, Dave Bautista, Letitia Wright, and more, also star.
3 reasons to watch Avengers: Endgame…
1. It’s the biggest movie of all time - ever
For 10 years, James Cameron's epic science fiction adventure Avatar was the ultimate box office champion - earning $2.78 billion at the global box office.
But on Saturday, July 20, Variety reports, Avengers: Endgame crossed $2.79 billion at the global box office to become the biggest movie of all time.
Taking to Twitter, Cameron (Oscar-winning director for Titanic) earnestly congratulated the makers of the film for becoming the 'new box office king'.
In response, the Russo brothers told Cameron that the director was a 'monumental reason' for them falling in love with films in the first place.
The movie's global box office success is partly thanks to Disney re-releasing Avengers: Endgame in cinemas with additional footage.
It's not the first box office record the film has broken - it currently holds the title of biggest global opening weekend with a whopping $1.2 billion.
2. It’s the perfect conclusion to an epic 22-film saga
Initially, Avengers: Endgame was planned to be the end of Marvel’s Phase Three continuation of films, but as this is a spoiler-free review, we won’t explain why it’s not - except to say that Spider-Man: Far From Home is actually the end of Phase Three.
That being said, Avengers: Endgame is still the end of a story that’s been told since 2008 when Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, and later Thor, Captain America and co started their journey on-screen.
That’s before they even became the Avengers in 2012 during the Battle of New York (not talking about the comics or previous incarnations of the characters, obviously).
For over ten years, we’ve witnessed the adventures of all those characters, before being introduced to more including the Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, and more.
Some of them came together on screen for the first time in Avengers: Infinity War - but Avengers: Endgame is the last time we’ll see them on screen together.
Even Disney themselves call it "Marvel Studios’ grand conclusion to twenty-two films", demonstrating how significant the film is in the Marvel saga.
And there’s officially no Avengers films in Marvel’s Phase Four plan - which was revealed at Comic-Con 2019 - but which includes a Black Widow origin movie, and a Doctor Strange sequel.
As Sarah Whitten from cnbc.com writes, the events of Endgame have changed "a great many things in the Marvel Cinematic Universe" and will "shape the films and television series for another decade to come".
3. It’s the most emotional Marvel film to date
It’s not with every Marvel film that you see articles like 'RANKED: The 23 most heart-wrenching moments in Avengers: Endgame', 'The 25 Most Emotional Moments In Avengers: Endgame' and '10 Most Emotional Avengers: Endgame Moments'.
And that’s because, if you’ve watched Marvel films for the last 10 years, it really is a three-hour emotional rollercoaster.
As Hannah Wales from The World of Celebrity captures perfectly: ‘It’s the end of an era… it is exciting, tense, thrilling and very, very emotional. I cried a lot more than I expected to and I imagine a lot of fans will be the same.’
From the conclusion of romantic relationships to the end of certain characters as we know it *gulp*, bring a packet of tissues and prepare to blub because it definitely is biggest Marvel tear-jerker to date.
Avengers: Endgame trivia and Marvel Easter eggs: Did you know...
1. Natalie Portman's appearance in the film was created with leftover footage from Thor: The Dark World (2013), and she did voice-over work for a scene when she is talking in the distance. A few months after Avengers: Endgame was released, Portman was announced to play Mighty Thor in Thor: Love and Thunder (2021), the follow-up to Thor: Ragnarok (2017).
2. [SPOILER ALERT] Steve Rogers (Captain America) finally lifts Mjolnir (Thor’s hammer) to rally the troops - a scene that's right out of the comics, where he rallies Avengers and civilians in the battle against the Serpent (this time it’s against Thanos).
3. One of the most famous lines in the film is "I love you 3000". This came from Robert Downey Jr., who once told Anthony Russo and Joe Russo about how one of his children said it to him. The directors liked the phrase so much that they decided to include it in the film, according to IMDB.
4. The film was originally called Avengers: Infinity War, Part II, before being changed to the less catchy (placeholder) name of Untitled Avengers film, in June 2016. It was later confirmed to be Avengers: Endgame, with Doctor Strange famously saying in Avengers: Infinity War, “we’re in the endgame now”.
5. Stay tuned right until the end of the film. There's no mid/post-credits scene this time around, but there's something very special for fans as it shows autographs from the original Avengers Assemble actors - a fitting ending to the Avengers saga.
What the fans are saying about Avengers: Endgame...
Marvel fans praised the film’s ending, and the way directors Joe and Anthony Russo tied up 22 movies worth of stories and characters: